Who do I call if my child is ill?
Call the Grant School office at 619-860-5500 OR complete our online absence reporting form to report your child absent.  Using the online attendance form is helpful to us because doing so increases our main office staff's ability to respond to other phone call and in person needs. 

Click here to access the online attendance reporting form.

All absences must be cleared by a parent or guardian within 72 hours. If you call outside of school office hours, please clearly state your child's name, your relationship to the child and the reason for the absence. We always appreciate you scheduling doctor and dentist visits outside of school hours and on our minimum days.

What if my child is sick a lot?
If a student misses any five school days in a four-week period due to illness, a written verification of illness must be provided by a doctor or dentist. Please make sure to provide this to the school attendance clerk. In addition, if your child has an underlying health condition, the school nurse needs to be notified and your child's health card should reflect those special medical needs. Our school nurse is available most days in the main office. Please stop by.

Please note that Grant TK-8 adheres to the School Attendance Review Process outlined by the San Diego County Office of Education and supported by California Education Code.  For learners and families with excessive attendance concers, this includes required SART (School Attendance Review Team) meetings at various intervals as well as SARB (School Attendance Review Board) referrals.  For an overview of the School Attendance Review Process, please click here.

What kinds of absences can be excused?
A student can be excused from school for justifiable personal reasons such as court appearances, attendance at special religious ceremonies, attendance at religious retreats [not to exceed 4 hours per semester], school-initiated absences, or family emergencies. Absences of this nature should be requested in writing by the parent and approved by the principal or designee.

What if my child needs to be out of school for more than three days?
If your learner will miss school for more than three days, please contact our attendance clerk. The attendance clerk can articulate the process for working with staff to receive makeup work and potentially explore whether or not a independent study option would be possible.  If an independent study option would be applicable, the attendance clerk will share next steps at that point.  

What is a truancy?
Any absence not approved by parent is considered a truancy. Students also are considered to be truant if they are more than thirty minutes late to first period or their first class of the day without an excusal note.  Please make sure to call the office when your child will not be in school. If you don't clear your child's absence within 72 hours, it automatically converts to a truancy.

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2024 SchoolMessenger Corporation. All rights reserved.